Thursday, October 17, 2013

Post 1: Psychological Effects of Music


I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music. On my own experiences, listening to music is my life. Music can changed my mood or other's people mood. When I am alone or sad, I used to play music because when I hear or listening to music, it relax my mind, mood, and body. I observed many people especially for those of them that when he or she feel sad or brokenhearted, they used to listen a song that similar to their feelings that their are felt. Even their are sad, why is that their are still listening to a music that is also sad? But some of them, they used to play songs that opposite on their feelings. Like if they are sad, they used to play music that is good or happy to their ears. base also on my observation, not few but many of people in the world listening music because they want to forget their personal problems temporarily. I, myself also listening  music to escape my problems but I knew that music cannot solve any of this. But instead, it encourage us to do something or to think of a solution because listening to music is like relaxing our mind. It is all according to my experiences and observations.

In addition, music can control our emotions that can affect our actions. That is why if you are angry or you are not in the mood, just play a song that can be changed your mood in good and I, I am the person that without music or I cannot listen to music in a day, I think that I am not complete and I feel lonely. 

 

Going through articles,  I research about the psychological effects on how the music can affect our mind. I found an article about "the Psychological Effect of Songs" by  M.Farouk RadwanMSc., a Psychological effect of music and songs in the site "2 Know Myself". I agree on him of what he said in the article. According to the article, he said that when a child grow up knowing that they are a  fool person or dumb in the way of people called them, they will grow up knowing of them selves that they are really a dumb. When I read this article, I really learned more information about the psychological effect of music to us. The message of a song or the lyrics of it can affect our beliefs. Listening of negative message of a song is the source of our negative action. Some of the negative message of a song can persuade us to do some of its content in real life that can changed us.

Subconscious mind versus conscious mind. The article talks about of how is the process of the suggestions in the song. It states that we are easily persuaded  by the suggestions of the song so that we can agree to its content without checking or criticizing the full meaning of the song. In short, when you listen a song that contains negative messages everyday, you can interpret that negative messages in your action everyday in your life.







lyrics: "I have tried so hard to tell myself that you are gone but though you are still with me."
(meaning: I have already tried, but I failed, I will never be able to help myself)









That is the one line that I get on the lyrics of the song entitled My Immortal. The message of this song is an example that can test your psychological so that you do not get affected by the message of the song easily. This song is all about how to recover from break-ups. This song contains many negative messages that is why if this is one of your favorite song, you will take ages to recover from break-ups and you will do many negative things everyday. If you are afraid because of a slow recovery from being sad or alone, it doesn't mean you will avoid listening from this song or other song just like this. I learned from my research that if you want to avoid from hard or difficult times, try to research more information about psychology of falling in love so you will be aware of too much in love. Just try to enjoy music and try to help yourself not to be affected on the break-ups.

Another article I read entitled "Overall Psychological Effect of Harmonic and Disharmonic Music" by Torres, C. A. and Torres, L. R. in the site Scott Severance. This article talks about three groups called harmonic, disharmonic, and a control group. It says there the functions of each group and how it is works. This article explain that if the listener goes to there style that is not preferred to them, it is the symptoms that they are depressed and it is the cause for them to become disharmonic. However, when people changed there style, they will feel much better and its became harmonic music.

In addition, try to find some songs that motivate your self. Not just to be happy or to feel joy in a few moment but to motivate yourself so that you can do things positively and to achieve your goals. Make sure you choose your music wisely because songs you used to listen affects your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment